Monday, August 1, 2011

It must be a guy thing

Ever since we found out we were expecting I have been gathering as much information about pregnancy, birth, and babies that I can!  I have watched hours of educational programming (how to take care of a baby dvd's, you tube videos on bathing an infant, and of coarse Deliver Me and  A Baby Story), talked with other mom's, searched the internet, and read as many books as I could get my hands on!  I just can't get enough!  Steve on the other hand hasn't been so "into" this pregnancy!  Don't get me wrong, he is excited about having a baby and being a daddy, but up until recently he hasn't been able to experience anything pregnancy related.  He has just had try to understand what I told him I was going through.  All the books I purchased for him early on about the what to expect as a dad, child development...  are still sitting untouched on his night stand!!!  Some have even managed to make it under our bed!   At first it bothered me that he didn't want to learn everything there was to know about having babies, but now I have realized that most men just can't get "into" being a daddy and pregnancy until they can be an active participant or it is almost D-Day!  I think it starts to change for most men when they can physically see and hear something that looks like a baby during an ultrasound, but still, I think it is hard to really grasp the reality that there is a baby in his wife's belly until she gets bigger and he can feel the baby move! 

Well, last night Steve did the sweetest thing that brought tears to my eyes!  Before falling asleep we were talking about how our days were and what was in store for us tomorrow...  when out of no where he leaned over put his hand and head on my belly.  He wanted to try to feel and hear Hudson.  I read somewhere that it is possible to hear the baby's heart beat if he is in the right position.  Anyway, Steve got all excited that he could feel the baby moving and started talking to the baby!  Thankfully It was dark because at the point tears were literally streaming down my face!  It was so touching to see him trying to bond with his baby!   Steve stayed like that with his ear pressed up to my belly, talking and laughing as Hudson would kick against his cheek, for about 10 minutes!  It didn't last long, but that was by far the best 10 minutes of my entire day!  I never want to forget it!  He is finally starting to get really excited and involved with this pregnancy! 

That started me thinking about what it is going to be like when Hudson is actually born!  Will I cry (who am I kidding), will Steve cry, will he be a giant ball of nerves, or will Steve be a strong rock...   I have no clue how he is going to react to delivery and to seeing his son for the first time.  I just know it is going to be a special moment for them and no matter how he reacts on the outside, I know that on the inside he will probably be more happy than he has ever been (aside from meeting and marrying me of course!!! haha).  Steve is going to be such a great dad, I just know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment