Monday, June 18, 2012

Father's Day, A Week Away, & Pictures

Happy 1st Father's Day Steve! 

Steve and Hudson 6-14-12
Yesterday was Steve's very first Daddy's Day!  We drove over three hours back to our house from my parents house, he didn't feel well, and he was still suffering from jet-lag from his business trip, but overall it was a good day!  

Grandpa, Daddy, and Hudson on Father's Day 2012

I wanted to take a moment to share some thoughts I have about Steve on Father's Day.  The role of dad is ever-changing and all encompassing.   Some men are born with the nurturing gene.  The transition to fatherhood comes naturally and caring for a baby/child seems to be second nature for them.  They seem to know exactly what to do without instruction.  Other men have to work at it and figure things out as they go.  Steve falls into the later category.  But that is OK!  When Hudson was born, Steve was fascinated, like a child is with his toys on Christmas morning. Then, after a while of watching a baby sleep or hearing him cry, he would become disinterested and frustrated.  I don't think he realized just how much work babies were.  Over the past 8 months Steve has transformed from a wary unsure father to an involved and loving daddy to our son.   Becoming a daddy has been an adjustment for Steve (as it is for most new dads).  He has had to consciously work on it and learn not only how to care for our Hudson's physical needs, but also patients, understanding, and compassion for a tiny human who can't tell you what he needs.  Now Steve is the diaper changing King and Huddy Buddy's best friend.  They roll around on the floor and play together all the time.  Steve is even trying to teach Hudson to crawl.  Steve's love for Hudson is evident in the way he interacts with him (and he tells Hudson every day that he loves him).   I am so proud of Steve for working every day to become a better dad for Hudson.  It isn't always easy, especially when he is exhausted from working all day to provide for his family, but he does it anyway.  I know after a long day at work, he would really like to come home and relax, but he doesn't.  He comes home picks up Hudson, kisses all over him and spends the evening tending to his family (changing diapers, feeding, playing with Huddy Buddy...)  He deserves so much more credit than we probably give him.  Hudson is one lucky little boy to have a dad that is so determined to have a good relationship with him.  I couldn't ask for a better father for Hudson.  So, while the transition of taking care of a baby may not have come naturally to Steve, he has worked extra hard to learn and make sure he is the best dad he can be for Hudson.  I couldn't be more proud and wouldn't have it any other way.  Happy Father's Day Daddy Steve!  You are appreciated for all of your hard work and we LOVE you so much!

Grandma and Grandpa Smith with Hudson on Father's Day 2012
Grandpa opening his Father's Day card

It was so nice being able to spend Father's Day with my dad as well!  I feel so fortunate to have a dad who has always been there for me.  He has supported me and my decisions.  He as cheered me on as my biggest fan.  He as taught me what it means to have integrity and be self disciplined.  He has always been actively involved and there for me when I needed him (which I did and still do a lot).  My dad sacrificed so that we could have a wonderful life.  I love and respect him more than he will ever know.  My dad loves my husband and my baby.  He is wonderful with Hudson and has BIG plans for him.  He is THE BEST father in the whole entire world and I am so thankful that he is mine! 





Grandma Smith and Hudson
Playing at Grandma and Grandpa's house


This past week Steve had to go out of town on a business trip, so Hudson and I headed to my parents house.  We had so much fun hanging out at Grandma and Grandpa's.  We got to go to lunch with one of my best friends and also with Grandma and one of her best friends.  I took Hudson to the park to swing (he loves that).  We drove up to Ft. Wayne for my cousins graduation party and Hudson got to see his second cousin baby Landon.  Hudson was such a little charmer.  He really put on a show, smiling, laughing, and "talking" to everyone!  haha I was definitely a proud mama!  We also went to a concert downtown (yes, we put cotton in his ears to try and block the loud music, and yes, he liked to dance and wiggle) and Hudson got to play in his little pool that my parents got him.  It was a FUN week!


Hudson and Grandpa Smith playing at concert

Colleen holding Hudson at the concert 6-13-12
Carol and Hudson 6-13-12


Huddy Buddy and me hanging out!
Here Comes Trouble!
Hudson and me!
(Great) Grandma Smith, Grandpa (my dad), Steve, Hudson, and me at Amy's Graduation Party

6-16-12 with Hudson's Great Grandma
Cousins (me and Brittany) & 2nd cousins (Hudson and Landon)
baby boys!




Naked Baby 6-17-12


Mommy and baby


6-18-12 Back Home Again

No comments:

Post a Comment