Monday, May 16, 2011

Crafting

Well, today I thought I would try something new.  I have been admiring those cute little hanging letters for kids rooms on Etsy.com.  They are all so cute, but I didn't see anything that really went with Hudson's nursery.  So, I decided to try and do it myself. This way I get to pick exactly what I want.  After spending way too much time at Hobby Lobby, this is what I came home with!





I purchased some wooden letters from Hobby Lobby (They were 50% off so each one was $1.50), some paint brushes ($1.99), coordinating scrapbook paper that was big enough to cover the letters ($0.44 each) and some Mod Podge in Matte ($4.50).  I also found this super cute wall hanging for Hudson's nursery!


Anyway, I took each letter and covered it with Mod Podge from edge to edge using a paint brush.




Then I placed one of the sheets of scrapbook paper on top.  It is important to rub the paper over the letters so you get all the air bubbles out.  After the Mod Podge had time to dry, I cut around the letter, leaving about 1/2 inch.


Next, simply apply more Mod Podge around all of the edges.  Using your fingers, fold the paper over the edges and smooth it out until you have no lumps and bumps.


Finally, put another coat of Mod Podge over the top and the sides and let them dry.  It goes on white, but dries clear.   Easy as that!




Once they dry, I will be able to attach ribbon to hang them on the wall.  If you don't want to use ribbon, they have nail holes on the back. Ta Da!  The up side to doing this your self:  you get exactly what you want and it is really cheep and easy to do.  The down side:  it takes some time (about an hour) and is messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment