Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hudson's Birthday!

Words can't describe how happy I am right now!  My heart feels like it is about to burst with love for this new miracle God has given us.  Steve and I are overjoyed and can't get enough of him.  He is the best thing I have ever done in my entire life.

On Thursday October 6, 2011 at 9:00am I had a doctors appointment .  I was 37 weeks 6 days pregnant.  The appointment started out completely normal, aside from the fact that my doctor had just left the practice.  I told the nurse practitioner (who I was seeing that day) that I had been having trouble feeling Hudson move around lately.  She spoke with the head doctor and told me that they wanted me to stay after my appointment to have some additional tests done, just to make sure Hudson was doing alright.  We did a Biophysical test, a nonstress test, and an ultrasound.  I thought I would be going home.  However, when the nurse came and got me... She told me that the doctor in charge (my new doctor) wanted to see me.  So, I went back to an exam room.  They decided to check me...again and then told me I was 3 cm dilated and almost 80% effaced.  It was now almost 12:00.  The first time I was checked (around 9:00am)I was just over 2 cm dilated, so my new doctor told me I was in labor!  The doctor, after reviewing the test results and seeing my progress decided that she didn't want Hudson to stay in my belly any longer.  She was very concerned that he wasn't moving like he was supposed to and thought that it was best to just get him out!  I was completely shocked!  She then told me that I could go home, pack, get ready and that night at 6:00pm return to have Hudson!  She said because I was already in labor and making progress, she would just break my water to get things going.

I almost had a heart attack!  Tears started filling my eyes!  I just couldn't believe it!  We were going to have our baby very soon!  I called Steve, and he was just as shocked as I was.  I called my parents and told them to head to Kentucky because their first grandson was going to be here soon.  All family was notified.  Once at home I started scrambling.  There was so much that needed to be done!  I finished packing and repacking all hospital bags, did laundry, cleaned, ate, took a shower, and got the car seat installed.... Steve came home early to help out!  Around 5:00pm my parents arrived at our house, unloaded their car, and off we went to the Hospital.

Once there, we got registered.  It didn't take long at all, and we were back in the room.  They gave me a gown and hooked me up to an IV.  I told the nurse and the doctor that I would do whatever they told/wanted me to do, but I did NOT want to be in any pain.  I was having very mild contractions, so the nurse told me to just get the epidural as soon as possible (after they ran an IV drip for an hour).  They also started me on Pitocin to make my contractions stronger and more regular.  I was in little to no pain when they said that the anesthesiologist was there to give me the epidural.  I was really scared, because I wasn't hurting yet and was worried that the epidural would "run out"  and it would hurt really bad to get.  They reassured me that the epidural could not "run out" because it was a continuous drip.  The epidural didn't hurt at all and from then on, not only was I not in any pain, I was completely comfortable and relaxed the entire time!

I was checked periodically throughout the night.  For a brief period of time, there was talk about a possible c-section because Hudson wasn't tolerating the Pitocin very well. Luckily my body kicked in and progressed well enough that a lot of Pitocin wasn't needed and Hudson's heart rate went back up.  Both my parents and Steve's parents along with my sister were at the hospital waiting.  Around 2:40am the nurse came in to check me and told me that I was 10cm dilated and 100% effaced.  We were ready to have a baby!  The nurses started getting things ready while Steve went out to the waiting room to notify our parents.  Steve, my mom, and sister were all in the delivery room with me.  I was getting a little anxious knowing what was about to happen, but they really helped me stay calm.  A little after 3:00am the doctor arrived and we stared pushing.  In all the movies, this is the part that is really painful looking and intense...  Well not in our room.  Everyone (including myself) was really laid back.  We were all laughing, talking, and telling jokes the entire time.  I could not feel a thing and did my best to do what they told me to do.  After about 45 minutes of pushing (just before 4:00am) Hudson was placed into my arms!  That is when the tears started flowing.  He was (and still is) perfect!   Hudson weighted 7pounds 15.5ounces and was 20.75 inches long. 

The whole birthing process was nothing like I thought it would be.  I wouldn't call it a pleasant experience, but it was by no means bad, painful, or scary.   I would do it all over again in a heart beat!  The worst part about childbirth is not giving birth, but recovery (I feel so lucky).  I did end up with a 3rd degree tear and episiotomy (again, I didn't feel a thing), so recover from that has been the most uncomfortable part.

Everyone working at the hospital was extremely helpful and kind.  We couldn't have had better people taking care of us.  Some of the nurses that were there for Hudson's delivery ended up coming visit us later on to see our beautiful baby boy and to visit!  We had many visitors while we were there.  Sunday around noon we were discharged and able to go home! 

I know I am forgetting so much, but at least all the main points are there.  I never want to forget this experience.  Being at home has been a difficult transition to say the least.  We are so lucky though to have such a good baby.  Steve has taken off this entire week to stay home with Hudson and me.  My parents will be in town again this weekend and then my mom will be staying with us for a week helping out.  We are so thankful to everyone who has brought us food or helped out in any way.  We are overwhelmed by peoples love and support.

I will leave you with some pictures of his birthday!


Me at the house before we left for the hospital!


The proud mommy and daddy to be!


At the hospital, getting ready to go in!!


Inside the hospital!  We are READY!


We are registered and now I'm getting ready to go back and get hooked up to all the machines!  I love my mom!


Just getting started!  I had just gotten my IV and hooked up to all the nominators!


The time I started pushing!


Skipping ahead....  The first time I got to hold my son!  I didn't cry the entire time until he was finally out and in my arms!  It was just such an emotional moment!


Dr. James and Mollie my nurse for the night!  They were both AMAZING!  Mollie even came to visit us the next day and see how we were doing!


Hudson, me, and Nurse Mollie.


Dr. James Holding baby Hudson!  She was wonderful!  I am so lucky that she ended up being the one to deliver Hudson!


Born October 7, 2011 at 3:59am.  7lbs 15.5 oz  20 3/4 inches long






Our first kiss as a mommy and a daddy!


Daddy and Hudson! 



Grandma and Grandpa Smith holding Hudson!


Aunt Jessica Holding Hudson!


Steve's mom (Grandma Farmer), Jessica (Aunt Jessica), my mom (Grandma Smith), Hudson, and me!


Steve, Elitha and Hudson shortly after he was born!


My little frog baby!







Going Home!!!!

I am still organizing pictures, so more will be added when I get to it.  For now, I will be loving on my baby and spending time with my wonderful husband.

Having a baby is like falling in love again, both with your husband and your child.-- Tina Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment