Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What's The Deal?!? Is my baby teething already?

Mister Hudson has been in a mood the past two days.  I just can't figure him out!  He is usually a happy baby, but lately he is just so fussy!  I'm going out of my mind trying to figure out whats going on.  Is he not feeling well?  Is he hungry?  Is he tired?  Is he cutting teeth (he has been drooling A LOT and wants to gnaw on everything)?  Is he too hot? Too cold?  Growth spurt?  I just don't know! 

My guess... well, I think my sweet little baby might be teething!  Ahhhh You would think I would know more about this subject since I am a Hygienist, but even I had to Google Huddy Buddy's symptoms.  I'm so ashamed....  haha
  • Irritable and Fussy --- check
  • Drooling --- CHECK
  • Biting behavior --- check
  • Refusing food --- check (he just doesn't seem to want to eat as much or as often)
  • Sleep problems --- check (not taking naps and crying out in his sleep)
  • Gum swelling and sensitivity --- ? (I'm not sure....)
The Teething Guideline


 
5 months
(typical range:
4 to 10 months)
Teething begins. Your baby's gums may be swollen and red where the teeth are cutting through. 
 
8 months
(typical range:
6 to 10 months)
First teeth erupt, usually on the bottom in the middle (lower central incisors). These two teeth arrive at about the same time.
  Fast fact: Lower teeth usually come in before upper teeth.
 
10 months
(typical range:
8 to 12 months)
Upper middle teeth (the upper central incisors) emerge.
  Fast fact: Girls usually get their teeth before boys do.
 
11 to 12 months
(typical range:
10 to 16 months)
Bottom teeth right next to the middle teeth (lower lateral incisors) make their appearance.
  Fast fact: Teeth usually emerge in pairs – one on the right and one on the left.

Well, Hudson has 5 out of the 6 major symptoms of teething!  According to my Google searches, most babies don't start cutting teeth until 4-7 months.  I guess we have an early bloomer on our hands.  OR I could be completely wrong, and my baby is just having a rough couple of days.  Only time will tell.  Either way, I just wish there was something I could do to help him feel better!  I want my little love bug to be happy!

In other news, we have started the transiting of moving Hudson from his Fisher Price sleeper to his crib.  Hudson would probably do just fine switching rooms, but because I am sentimental and emotional, this is a multistage process (I'm going to take all the time I can for each stage).
  1. Start napping regularly in his crib during the day
  2. Transition night time sleeping from inclined sleeper to flat pack n play (still in our room)
  3. Every few days move pack n play farther from me us
  4. Transition from pack n play to crib
TA DA!  That's the plan.  Last night was Hudson's first night sleeping flat in his pack n play.  He did pretty well!  He is even napping in his crib as we speak (or type).  Aside from him being 3 months old and needing to start sleeping in his own room that we decorated just for him,  I noticed that he is starting to get a flat spot on the back of his pretty little head from sleeping in the inclined sleeper every single night...  Hopefully once he starts sleeping flat he will be able to turn his head from side to side relieving pressure from the back of his head.  That's the idea anyway.  He is still too young for us to worry about it being a problem, but I'm going to be proactive and not let it get any worse. 

With that being said, the Fisher Price Sleeper has been nothing short of a life saver!  It is inclined at just the right amount to help with reflux and it is portable!  This is the one thing we could not have lived without!  Even though Huddy Buddy won't be sleeping in it at night anymore, we will still be able to use it when we visit friends and family, because the weight limit is 25 pounds (as of today Hudson is ONLY 16 pounds). 

No comments:

Post a Comment