Monday, February 4, 2013

So Thankful

As I sit here today, reflecting on not only this weekend, but the past few weeks, months, life.... I feel the need to share what I am so thankful for.

  • Family - I am thankful for my husband who is my best friend and companion in life.  He works so hard for to provide four our family and is incredibly smart.  He keeps me sane (at least most of the time).  I am thankful for our sweet 1 year old son.  He is such a bright spot in our lives.  I am thankful for my parents and sister, who made the first chapter in my life amazing.  I am thankful for my extended family.  I am thankful for my in-laws and all the family that came packaged with the love of my life.  I couldn't have asked for a better family for my son to grow up in.
  • Friends - I am thankful for my true, lasting, friendships.  To be honest, as the years have gone by I have realized that I don't have nearly as many friends as I once did.  It bothered me at one time, but now I realize that the people that are still in my life are my true friends.  We genuinely care about each other and want nothing but the best for one another.  We can live separate lives for months then reconnect without missing a beat.  They are the people who I consider family and value an immeasurable amount.  I am also thankful for those people who entered my life, made an impact, and left.  They, though not lasting, were still important relationships and taught me something about life, myself, and/or how to live. 
  • Pets - Milo and Sadie are part of our little family.  They bring such joy to our lives.  No person on earth would not only put up with our constant shifting moods, but would still great us at the door wanting nothing more than to like our faces.  No matter what we do or how badly we behave, they always us.  They just want to be around us and we love them for it.  How could you not smile at an animal who's main goal in life seems to be to make you happy?!?!
  • Health - I am so thankful for our health.  We (I) complain when we get the flu or have a stiff neck, but when you take a good look at what is going on out in the world, it makes you realize that your so called ailments are nothing more than inconveniences.  Right now, non of us is suffering from anything serious or life threatening.  I am so thankful that Hudson is growing up healthy and strong.  We need to do a better job exercising and eating right so that we may enjoy our health for many years to come.
  • United States of America - I am thankful for this country that we live in.  I may not agree with everything going on in the world of politics, but I still love this country.  I am thankful that I grew up in a place where freedom and liberty were/are a top priority.  I am thankful that I grew up in a place where I didn't have to worry about civil war, bombs coming through my bedroom window, rogue armies invading my home at night, or becoming enslaved.   So many around the world are suffering and my heart goes out to those who fall victim to these tragic circumstances.  
  • Good - I am thankful that among all the sadness and evil in the world, that we live ( and my son will grow up) in a world where there are still people trying to do GOOD.  It seems like you can't turn on the television or read a news paper with out hearing of multiple acts of pure evil.  It is beyond depressing.  BUT THERE IS HOPE.  I see it whenever I see someone hold a door open for another person, thanklessly pays for a strangers meal, purchases gas for someone who seems to be having a bad day, a man get up out of his seat so that a pregnant mother wont have to stand.  
  • God - I am thankful for my Savior.  I deserve to die for all the sin in my life, but because of his GRACE, I will have eternal life with Him in heaven.  No matter how much I try to do the right thing and follow in his footsteps, I always fall short.  It is because of his great sacrifice that I am redeemed.  Suddenly, my very sinful past is nothing more than that, past.  I will to my best to learn from it and use my experiences to help others.  As long as I believe that Jesus died for my sin (and the sin of all man) I know God will continue to mold me into the woman He wants me to be.  It doesn't mean my life will be easy and painless, and it doesn't mean the journey won't be long.  It simply means that I am forgiven and I don't have to make the journey alone.  HE is always with me.  I am thankful He has a plan for my life.  I don't know what He has planned for my future, but I don't have to live in fear, because I know what every my future holds, I know it will glorify Him in some way. God is hope.  Hope for you.  Hope for me.  Hope for the unborn.  Hope for the future.
  • Church - I am thankful for the church we attend and the people God has put in our path.  I am so inspired by the people at our church.  Everyone has a story that in some way has helped me grow my faith.  I love our Sunday School Class.  I am thankful for each of the families we were grouped with.  They are examples to us regularly.  I am thankful for the Women's Bible Study I am in.  I am amazed at the knowledge and insight these women have.  Every time I am with them I learn so much!   They provide such interesting perspectives and understandable explanations to so many questions.  I am so thankful for this community of Christians. 
  • Freedom - I am so thankful to have my freedom.  I am thankful that I have the freedom to choose what I do on a daily basis, where I eat, who I marry, how to raise my child, right from wrong...  
  • Home - I am thankful for our house and that we have a warm place to sleep at night.  I pray for those who don't have a home and are out in this cold winter weather.  I am thankful that we have shelter and protection.
  • I am thankful I get to stay home and take care of my son (at least for the time being).  It can be really hard at times, but I think being a mom is a hard job whether you stay at home or work.  Each scenario has its pros and cons.  It's just part of the deal I guess.  [I am not trying to debate which is better or the right thing to do.  They are both good in their own way, and I respect every mother for having to make that decision whatever it may be.]  I am thankful that I have the opportunity to care for him 24/7.  I am thankful I get to watch him grow and learn.  I am thankful I get to teach him.  For this life though, I had to sacrifice a second income for our family, adult conversations on a regular basis, a lifestyle I always thought I wanted, shopping....But I am thankful for the choice I had and for the choice I made. 

This list could go on forever.



What are you thankful for?

I have been reading a lot of news articles and it has really bothered me.  There is so much negativity, sadness, poverty, and greed.  I think change starts with an individual.  It only takes one person to start a positive revolution.  Wouldn't it me amazing if instead of violent acts of terror being plastered all over the television, if there were stories about men helping fellow men.  Think of the impact it could have!  That might just be enough to start something BIG. 


Sometimes it feels like I'm watching from the outside
Sometimes it feels like I'm breathing but am I alive
I won't keep searching for answers that aren't here to find

All I know is I'm not home yet
This is not where I belong
Take this world and give me Jesus
This is not where I belong

So when the walls come falling down on me
And when I'm lost in the current of a raging sea
I have this blessed assurance holding me.

All I know is I'm not home yet
This is not where I belong
Take this world and give me Jesus
This is not where I belong

When the earth shakes I wanna be found in You
When the lights fade I wanna be found in You

All I know is I'm not home yet
This is not where I belong
Take this world and give me Jesus
This is not where I belong

All I know is I'm not home yet
This is not where I belong
Take this world and give me Jesus
This is not where I belong

Where I belong, where I belong
Where I belong, where I belong

~Building 429

No comments:

Post a Comment