Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012...one to remember

How is it possible that Thanksgiving has already come and gone?!?!  Where did the holiday weekend go?

We spent this wonderful holiday up north with my family this year.  We usually spend it with Steve's family, be we switched things up a bit this year.

I must preface this story by saying that the weekend before thanksgiving, I came down with a nasty cold and sore throat.  It was mostly gone by Tuesday except for some sniffles.

Tuesday we ended up leaving for my parents house.  We weren't going to leave until Wednesday, but it just so happened that Steve's schedule cleared up and we were able to pack quickly and head home Tuesday night.

Wednesday was spent playing and taking care of Hudson while Steve and the rest of my family worked.  My mom got off work early, so we went to the park and played!  We had so much fun and I got lots of great pictures of Hudson and his grandma!  That night Hudson went to bed at his normal time but whimpered in his sleep.  He never woke up, so I didn't think much of it.






at the park with Grandma Smith

Thursday morning (THANKSGIVING DAY)  Hudson woke up in drenched clothes and covered in sweat!  He was literally burning to the touch.  Now, I have never been able to tell if this baby had a fever in the past.  Every time I thought he was warm in the past, I would take his temperature and he would be just perfectly fine.  This time, there was no doubt.  HE WAS BURNING UP!  My sweet little HEALTHY baby has never ever EVER been sick, but this Thanksgiving, he was ill and it was more than likely ALL MY FAULT! 

Not feeling too well, but he put up a good front.

Aunt Jess with Hudson

My cousins

My Great Aunt (Grandma's sister) Ann and Great Uncle Jack

My sweet cousin Amy and her boyfriend.

My daddy, his mom, and one of his sisters.  So, my dad, grandma, and aunt.

My cousin Natalie and her wonderful NEW hubby Jon


The Parker Family (My cousin and her family)

I assumed it was his teeth giving him trouble and gave him some Tylenol and we went about our day.  I know, I'm the worst mother in the world for not figuring out sooner that he was SICK.  I have been kicking myself just thinking about it.  Anyway, we went up to Northern Indiana to visit my extended family.  Hudson seemed to be doing better, but I was still giving him Tylenol every few hours.  We had a really nice time visiting with everyone.  Again, I usually don't get to see them at Thanksgiving, so it was a real treat. ***I will say that it has been almost  a week and no one seems to have caught Hudson's illness***

Steve with Hudson & Landon




Landon, Hudson's 2nd cousin.







Brittany, Landon, Hudson & Me







Landon & Hudson


When we got home Hudson was HOT again, so Steve and my dad had to run out to get a thermometer.  When they got back, I immediately took Hudson's temperature.  I was expecting maybe a fever of 101, but I wasn't expecting 104.6!  I scooped Hudson up and off we went to the ER with Steve and my mom.  No questions asked.

While we were there, they did all sorts of tests, blood work, x-rays, and gave Hudson 2 bags of IV fluids.  My poor little guy was a trooper.  He was super cuddly and just wanted to sleep.  We were finally sent home around 1:00am once his fever had subsided and his heart rate stabilized (it was crazy high).  They diagnosed Hudson with nothing more than a virus and gave me orders to give him Tylenol and Motrin every two hours.  Neither Hudson or I got much sleep that night.  We were under strict orders to go back in if anything changed or his fever went back up.  So that was Thanksgiving.  We defiantly made some memories. 

The rest of the weekend, Hudson and I seemed to pass whatever virus it was back and forth.  When our Thanksgiving meal at home (on Saturday) came around I felt horrible and couldn't eat a bite!  SOOOO disappointing!  I have been looking forward to that food for such a long time!  haha  I guess it isn't a horrible thing that I wasn't in the mood to cram my face full of delicious food....

Saturday evening everyone was feeling better so we went to Christmas at the zoo.  Hudson really enjoyed seeing the animals and the lights!



Dressing up in Santa and Elf hats to decorate for Christmas.  It's a Smith Family tradition!

All in all it was great seeing everyone, I just wish we all felt better.  :) We had some good quality time with family and friends AND we got some Christmas decorations up!  Not to shabby!

No comments:

Post a Comment