Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Bible in a Year

The Women's Bible Study I'm in started reading a book called Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus a few weeks ago.  It is about understanding Jesus's Jewish heritage in order to have a better understanding of his teachings.  After reading just a few chapters, I realized that there was and is so much I don't know.  I felt convicted to read and study the Bible myself to gain my own basic understanding of it.  So, a good friend and I set out to read the Bible using the chronological Bible in a Year plan.

So far, I have read Genesis and am working on Job.

I am realizing that through previous bible studies as well as the current one and reading the Bible, that my understanding of God is constantly evolving.  Just when I think I can safely place God in a neat box, information is revealed to me that completely blows my theory.  :)

Through conversations with the other women in the study, family, and friends I have come to realize that there is still so much I don't know.  My knowledge on the subjects of God, faith, religion, and the bible are very limited to say the least.  It has become clear to me though that as a Christian it is my desire to seek Him and learn as much as I can about His teachings.  It isn't about simply proclaiming that I am a follower of Christ, but that I work to obey him and am constantly trying to build my relationship with him.

If we are not actively seeking a relationship with God, we are unintentionally drifting farther away from  Him.  I read that a little over a year ago in a Bible Study I participated in.  These words really hit home.  How many times have I gotten lazy with my faith only to find myself a month later struggling with my relationship.  

So, I have decided to READ the whole Bible from start to finish.  I got myself a new study bible that is full of all sorts of helpful information as well as a book that gives facts and basic principles about each book of the bible.   I want to learn all I can about God and Jesus.  I want to experience Him and His word first hand instead of just hearing others interpretations.

So far I have read Genesis, Job, some of Psalm, and have started Exodus.  Already I have learned so much and feel so much closer with God.  I am excited about what else I will learn and find out about my Heavenly Father.  I am excited for this lifelong journey I am embarking on.

No comments:

Post a Comment