Sunday, July 8, 2012

Celebrating Hudson's first 4th of July

Tuesday afternoon Steve, Hudson, and I hopped in the car and headed back to my hometown to celebrate the 4th of July.  It has become a tradition to go to a concert at the civic center downtown with friends the night before (the 3rd) then to get together with great family friends on the 4th.  Well, before we left, we had a bit of an accident.

Tuesday, before Steve got home, I was running around packing and trying to get last minute things together.  I put Hudson on our bed and put pillows and some packed bags along the edges.  He as never been able to climb over them before... Can you see where this is going?  Well I was chatting and playing with him one minute and then ran into the bathroom to grab my bag and as soon as my back was turned I heard a yell.  When I turned around to see what was going on I saw his feet go over the edge of the bed.  Then I heard the screaming and crying.  I wanted to die.  I ran to him, picked him up, and checked him from head to toe.  Hudson had a busted lip that was bleeding and a bruise on his cheek.  I started crying and called his doctor.  They reassured me over and over again that he was fine.  Hudson only cried for a minute.  I felt like the worlds worst mother.  I spent almost 2 years protecting this precious little baby.  How could I be so stupid and let him get hurt!  After talking things over with some friends, I was reassured that Hudson will never remember this incident, but it is something I will probably never forget. 

That was by far the most eventful thing that happened over our long Holiday, but I wanted to share it because it was Hudson's first accident.  As a little boy, I'm sure there are bound to be many many more bumps and bruises.  I also wanted to include this in here so that maybe someday when Hudson has his own baby and feels like the worst daddy that ever lived, that this will remind him that we are only human.

There were so many people there to see the concert. 7-3-12

Anyway, we arrived just in time to go to the concert!  The Wright Brothers were (and have been) the main act for the 4th of July celebration and have been for as long as I can remember!  They sing everything from Dixie Chicks to John Lennon. We always have a lot of fun!  We get together with Bob, Carol, Colleen, and my parents.  Hudson was the main attraction though.  :)

Steve and I at the Wright Brother's Concert 7-3-12
The Farmer Family 4th of July picture
Us with my parents


Me giving Hudson a bottle.
Colleen and Hudson
Dad and Steve
My handsome husband, Stevie G
My adorable parents (Grandma and Grandpa Smith)
Colleen and I, Friends for over 20 years!
Hudson with his earplugs in is oblivious to the loud music


On the 4th of July it was over 100 degrees outside, so our festivities were all indoors.  No, we did not try to brave the heat to watch the fireworks this year.  It was just way to hot for a baby and us.  So, we went over to the Erath's house for dinner.  Colleen and Carol are always so creative and have the cutesiest decorations.  This year they used brown paper to cover the table an island then gave everyone crayons to color and draw with.  It was so adorable!  Thy even had daisy centerpieces.  It was beautiful!  The food was delicious!  We had stuffed mushrooms (they were fantastic) pulled pork, homemade sauce, grilled green beans, a wonderful salad,   homemade macaroni and cheese, a veggie tray, and a yummy American Flag cake (that was made by my mommy). After dinner we played a game (we always play games) and watched the fireworks on TV.  It was cool inside, so there were no complains from anyone about the TV fireworks. Hudson passed out around 9:00 and slept until morning.

Carol and Collen the Hostesses
Some of the fruit and the adorable decor.
We each had crayons to color with on the dining room table
Hudson LOVED playing with Bob!
Steve and I on the 4th of July 2012
Father and Son playing on the floor.
On the 5th, mom and I did a lot of running around.  In the morning we met my mom's good friend at the nail place where we all got Manicures and Pedicures.  That is always a treat!  Then we went out to lunch at Steak N'Shake.  I haven't been there in years, and it really hit the spot!  We also took my parents cat Emmer to the vet and then headed to the mall for some light shopping!  Steve watched Hudson while we ran our errands and they really seemed to have fun together.

On the 6th, we mostly just hung out during the day.  That afternoon I met Colleen and we went to see a movie and get a drink.  It was so nice catching up.  I can't remember the last time just the two of us got together...  It is funny thought how we are able to pick right back up where we left off.  When I got home we had dinner and watched The Descendents.

Mom found Jessica's and My old Sit and Spin!  Hudson loved it!  7-6-12

On the 7th my dad and I ran to the farmer's market and picked up some sweetcorn and tomatoes.  There is a family there that has the best corn I have ever eaten.  It is called MY Dad's Sweet Corn.  AMAZING!  So for lunch we had corn and BLT's.  Then we drove home and spent the rest of Saturday and Sunday cleaning and organizing.

It was a wonderful trip home (it always is).  I am so thankful for such awesome family and friends.  Hudson had a great first 4th of July and can't wait until next year when he can hopefully go see the parade and fireworks.




No comments:

Post a Comment